Chelsea is a welcoming and charming municipality with a population of 6 977 (based on the 2011 census) where nature blends with urban. Located only 15 minutes by car from Ottawa or about an hour by bike (perhaps a little longer if you take the bike paths and scenic routes). This charming place is well worth the detour.
The wide-open nature will take your breath away. Gatineau Park allows for countless activities all year round, whether it be
cross-country or downhill skiing, snowshoeing, biking or hiking. Chelsea is also known for its numerous attractions celebrated as much for its culinary scene as its tourism. Golf connoisseurs are equally as spoiled.
Chelsea is an active community that organizes a great deal of activities such as Sunday biking and musical Tuesdays during the summer. There is a local market, skating rinks, a winter carnival and trail maintenance.
As the gateway to Gatineau Park, Chelsea welcomes approximately 2.7 million visitors a year, and all this is growing constantly. We invite you come and visit us yourselves and take advantage of these beautiful attractions of the expansive Outaouais region. Chelsea is a town where one and all live in harmony with the environment.
|Old Chelsea road (1900)|
In 1875, the territory that became the Municipality of Chelsea was carved from part of the Township of Hull. Its name until 1990 reflected that origin: “Le Municipality of the West Part of the Township of Hull” (La Municipalité de la partie ouest du Township de Hull), and its territory stretched from Ironside to Farm Point.
On April 28, 1990, it became the Municipality of Chelsea, reflecting the two major villages at its centre.
|Kirk’s Ferry, 1921|
Although its waters and hills were well known to indigenous peoples and fur traders before the nineteenth century, it was only in 1800 that the first settlers arrived and began to take up land in Hull Township.
During the next three-quarter of a century its land was broken into farms, the native white pine harvested as a cash crop, and small and larger businesses began to thrive.
When the Municipality’s first council met on March 1, 1875, it was at the house of Charles Kingsbury, later owned by the O’Neils on what is now Route 105 in Chelsea.
The first mayor, Timothy Moffatt, had arrived from Ireland in 1822; his fellow Council members included Henry Crilly, Michael Burke, Martin Fleming, Joseph Nadon, James McClelland and Luther Edey. Timothy Moffatt and Michael Burke had both served on earlier Township Councils; other Chelsea residents who served from the 1840s up to 1875 on local and regional Councils included Gardner Church, James Reid, Josephus Hudson, Thomas Reid and Josiah Chamberlin.
|Dunn House, 1890|
|Horse drawn Buses, 1914|
The 1875 Municipal assessment roll listed 819 taxpayers, mainly farmers, but it also included a baker, a butcher, a cabinet maker, a doctor and a shoemaker, some hotel and store-keepers, even more tavern-keepers (eight) than civil servants (six), and one fiddler!
There were also several schools and churches, which, of course, did not pay taxes. Methodists and Presbyterians had churches in the village of Chelsea, and the Roman Catholic Church was located in Old Chelsea. The Anglican pastoral charge of Chelsea was also established in that year and their building erected by 1877. Today the Methodists and Presbyterians have combined to become a United Church, the Anglican and Roman Catholic churches have continued in Chelsea and Old Chelsea, and another Roman Catholic Church is located in Farm Point.
Both English and French-language elementary schools now serve Chelsea’s children, who later attend high school in nearby Gatineau.
|Protestant Cemetery, 1997|
Chelsea’s cemeteries are a rich resource of community history dating back to the nineteenth century. Two have been recognized as historical monuments and are no longer accepting burials, while St. Stephen’s Roman Catholic Cemetery has several tombstones dating from the 1840s and 1850s and continues to be an “active” cemetery.
History buffs can find in Old Chelsea’s “Protestant Burial Ground” the earliest grave monument in the National Capital region, in memory of Thomas Wright, who died in 1801.
|Pioneer Cemetery, 1997|
In the small “Pioneer Cemetery,” off Route 105 in Chelsea, visitors will find the grave of Private Richard Rowland Thompson, whose Boer War heroism was recognized by the Queen’s “scarf of honour,” one of only eight in the world, crocheted by Queen Victoria herself.
The Municipality’s first town hall was built in 1876, and this 36 by 24 foot one-storey building in the heart of Old Chelsea served the community until 1956 when a combined fire hall and municipal office was constructed. In 1988 the Municipality purchased a house dating from the 1930s to hold its administrative services and the Mayor’s office, while other services continued to be offered in the older municipal building.
Since 1997, Chelsea’s municipal services have been located at 100 Old Chelsea Road.
|First Town Hall, 1973||Second Town Hall, 1987||Present Town Hall, 1999|
Chelsea has become a prime destination for outdoor enthusiasts who enjoy summer and winter sports activities. Swimming, nature walks, biking, hiking and skiing are just a few of the leisure activities that draw people to our community.
Each autumn, Chelsea unveils its spectacular colours and local artists welcome many visitors to their studios.
|Ramsay Point, 1920||Camp Fortune, 1949|
Throughout the years, Chelsea has kept its natural charm and has taken steps to protect the environment in which we live.
Taken from the Municipality of Chelsea Website